Last week the KZN Chapter was very honoured to have the phenomenal Anand Tamboli speak to us about “the 7 things you should know about technology”. Mr Anand is an award-winning author, innovator, professional speaker, and futurist. He is a sought after thought leader, and he helps people adapt, leverage technology, and transform with power of creativity and innovation. Anand specializes in areas that intersect with technology and people. As a technology, innovation, and transformation specialist, he is well known for bringing ideas and strategies to life. Being a polymath, he often sheds new light on a topic you think is “done to death”. Having worked with several fortune 500 multinationals for the past two decades, he has cross industry, multi-cultural experience.
Some key take aways from Anal Tambolis talk include:
As speakers we need to make sure we are constantly looking for ways to adapt to the changes in technology whether we like it or not. We need to also bear in mind that clients want good content, not just content they can find on google. Our content needs to be educational but also entertaining, we need to ensure that we constantly motivate and inspire our clients. Being entertainers is what most speakers struggle with and find to be challenging it is however very vital for speakers to master all three of these aspects.
3 issues with technology:
These are the problems which are not always in the control of the speaker, these includes challenges with finding relevant content, internet connectivity, computer issues etc.
On screen you cannot fully have your audience’s full attention span which can be distracting for speakers, a lot of the time you will find audiences have their videos off, so it is difficult to see how receptive the audience is being to the topic presented. There is also the issue of background noises such as dogs barking, all these noises come through and affect the audio.
online how do you choose where to focus your priorities? What is more urgent? There can be a cool novel, or something exciting to view on social media etc.
Bearing all the above mentioned in mind, speakers need to understand that just having good content it is not enough to keep your audiences engaged. The three things every speaker needs to get right is technology, composition, and content (the golden triangle). All these factors are equally important for mastering online speaking.
- Its not what but how.
- Technology is the technique compilation of scientific knowledge, if you can develop a technique then that is how technology is working for you. You need to be able to deliver your message in the most effective way.
- You do not have to always upgrade your technology you can just use the equipment you have and maximise on that.
- Try not to become too dependant on technology, because is can also be distracting for you as a speaker and it can start to limit your entertainment and inspiration. Also do not over invest on free stuff as it can compromise the quality of your presentation.
- Self-learning myth: Mostly true, but always note there can be a lot of junk online and it can end up being a huge waste of time.
- Camera, lighting, mic all of these are vitally important! To remain professionals, we need to always ensure we do not compromise on any of the above to give a good impression.
- Golden triangle is key!
Technology and internet destroy what is perfect but enable what is good, always distinguish yourself from being just another “you tuber”. Remember to always keep is very professional and use technology to your advantage to create something that has never been done before.
To connect further with And Tamboli visit his website on www.anandtamboli.com/vpm/linkedin