SPEAKER IN THE SPOTLIGHT: HELEN NICHOLSON
1. What or who inspired you to start speaking?
I remember reading at church when I was 6 and how much I enjoyed it. I did a lot of speaking and drama at school and was debating captain in matric.
2. What are your topics?
Master the Art of Networking
Mindfulness- become change agile
3. In 3 words, how would you describe yourself as a speaker?
Authentic, Clear, Confident
4. How long have you been a professional speaker?
5. When did you first join the PSASA?
I was the first speaker at the first PSASA speaker, so right from the beginning
6. What was the greatest piece of advice you have been given that has contributed to your success as a speaker?
Don’t believe your own PR!
7. Who is the best speaker you have ever seen, and why?
Jeff Weiner, CEO, LinkedIn- he got the whole google conference to sing along with him to “Sitting in the dock of the bay” Down to earth and powerful personal leadership insights
8. What was your greatest ever talk/presentation? And why?
I spoke at the Sun City Superbowl to 3500 people at a Microsoft event- everything just came together!
9. What was your biggest on stage disaster and what did you do about it?
I stepped off the stage and disappeared- I emerged 2 mins later a bit worse for wear!
10. What is your #1 marketing tip?
Collect names and keep in touch- I get a lot of repeat business through my mailing list of 12000 people.
11. What has been the best thing about being part of the PSASA?
Being part of my tribe and the great advice.
12. What do you know now, that you wish you knew when you first started?
Collect video testimonials
13. How has your speaking business changed since you started?
I have three other people speaking and training for me. We’ve also moved into the learning technology space so I’ve moved away from selling my time for a living.
14. Please give us your website address for further information.